"One of the hottest trends in housing is the revival of multigenerational living. Although it may initially sound daunting, three or more generations living together can be beneficial for all involved, especially when help is needed for child or elder care. Not only are families coming back together again, but also twenty-somethings are now staying home longer. Both of these trends are part of a nationwide shift to the reuniting of extended families. Since 1990, the number of multigenerational households has grown by approximately 40%. There are now some 50 million Americans (greater than 16%) living in such households around the country. With life expectancies increasing, baby boomers retiring, and pension funds failing, these numbers will only continue to accelerate."
Together Again: A Creative Guide to Successful Multigenerational Living, by Sharon Graham Niederhaus and John L. Graham,
Multigenerational Living Articles
- The New American Super-Family, Saturday Evening Post, July/August 2012
- The Boomerang Generation: Feeling OK about Living with Mom and Dad, Pew Research Center, March 15, 2012
- Good Morning America (04-20-2007) interviews Sharon on 'Living with Parents and Children'
- 'Solution to US Debt Woes isn't Economic. It's Social,' Christian Science Monitor, July 27, 2011, by John
- What to do When Mom and Dad Move In, Money Magazine, November 2, 2011
- Multi-generation household can be a rewarding choice for boomers in retirement years, The Washington Post, April 15.2011
- More elderly parents moving in with children, Dallas Morning News, June 10, 2011
- USA Today (02-07-2007) OpEd article 'Back to the Nest' by Sharon and John
- Together by Choice: Three Generations Share a Home, The Fiscal Times, September 27, 2010
- Multigenerational Living: A Guide For Success (review on GaGaSisterhood by Donne Davis on June 2, 2010)
- Together Again: A Creative Guide to Multigenerational Living (review on about.com)
- Happiness Is a Full House, Parade Magazine, May 2, 2010
- San Francisco Chronicle article "The Gang's All Here", August 9, 2009
- New York Times article on multigenerational living and hard economic times, May 14, 2009
- ocregister (01-11-2009) article 'Mother and Child Reunion'
- Book and Media Review by Dr. Paul Roodin, SUNY Oswego, Oswego, NY, Journal of Intergenerational Relationships Volume 6(2), 2008, pages 237-239
- ocregister (07-13-2008) article '20-somethings coming home to roost'
- ocregister (07-11-2008) article 'Aging parents the next wave of move-ins'
- Los Angeles Times (06-10-2008) article 'Under One Roof'
- The Big Talker 1210 (02-15-2007) Radio interview on WPHT Philadelphia Susanne LaFrankie Show
- BusinessWeek TV (11-12-2005) interviews Sharon about Together Again (27 MB)
- BusinessWeek magazine (10-31-05) talks about "Three Generations, One Roof" and mentions Together Again